Roof Repair and Maintenance
Keeping and maintaining a nice and reliable roof is less work than we might think. Having a minor leak or other issue that may be small today, could easily become a major costly issue if the proper maintenance and care is not practiced. We recommend having an inspection done twice year, in the spring and in the fall. This is to ensure that there are no potential problems or surprises that were created from our ever changing weather.
Here are a few tips to keep your roof in tip top shape, all year round.
- Look for missing, damaged or curling shingles and any other signs of wear and tear. This is very inexpensive to do and you can do it yourself, or to hire someone to do it for you. We always recommend you hire a professional when making any repairs or improvements to your home.
- Check for signs of fungus, mold and algae. If your roof is starting to collect moss or algae, install zinc or lead control strips.
- Inspect metal areas for rust. You can wire brush the rust, prime and paint the metal to bring it back to its original condition.
- Take a look at the flashing to make sure it’s solid. If not, remove all of the old caulk and scrub the area clean before having the area resealed.
- Seal any cracked mortar or caulking around joints and chimneys, If you find it to be deteriorating.
- If you see any signs of leaking, or dark spots on the ceiling, or mold or dampness in your attic, CALL US immediately. Roof leaks typically start small and gradually become a major headache. It’s better to spend a few hundred dollars on roof maintenance rather than thousands on a major repair.
- Sweep or blow off excess debris off of the roof. Sticks, leaves and other debris can damage shingles, cause algae to grow and clog your gutters.
- Trim any branches that are hanging over the roof to prevent damage and keep animals like squirrels and raccoon away.
Most of these Problems can be minimized or avoided by simply doing a little maintenance. Similar to our own health. If we take care of our bodies and our minds, we typically lead healthier and happier lives, there is no difference here.
Call us today to schedule an appointment for one of our qualified roof specialists to come out and inspect your roof and see why South Florida chooses Advantage Roofing & Inspection for all of your roofing needs.